I want to thank everyone who shared, with us the horrible responses they’ve heard when revealing their abuse to others. I know it’s very painful to talk about, but our voices make a difference and people are listening. Your courage never ceases to amaze me.
Today I am headed in a more positive direction. I want to list some responses that might be helpful to those revealing rape or abuse of any kind.
- I’m so sorry that happened to you
- I believe you (A very big one. More often than not we aren’t believed)
- I’m here to listen to as much or little as you’d like to share
- What do you want to do next
- Do you want to go to the police? Would you like me to go with you?
On a bit of a side note I want to suggest that you be careful about touch when someone is revealing abuse. It might be an automatic response to want to hug us, or put your hand on our shoulder for instance. Many of us can’t handle touch, and may even recoil at someone’s attempt to do so. Just ask first. Ask if you can hug us, or put your hand on our shoulder be okay with our answer if it’s “no”. We need to be able to say “no.”
If any of you have responses that you’ve found helpful or would find helpful that are not listed here, please let me know. I will add them to a another post.
Have you had a good experience with revealing abuse?
There is hope!